Rattray’s on MalaMala is ideally located on the oldest private game reserve in South Africa. Tucked away in a lush green forest, on the banks of the beautiful Sand River, lies a very special place. Combining humble opulence with romance and unrivalled game viewing, Rattray’s on MalaMala is the premier destination for those seeking the wild heart of Africa. Guests are offered an intimate glimpse of a long lost era, when travelers from afar married the magic of the savannah with refined elegance. Photographers love this 33,000-acre terrain… where the industry’s blueprint for luxury photographic safaris was developed!
Protecting this delicate environment for future generations is top priority and management ensures MalaMala’s eco-friendly green status is maintained.
You are invited take advantage of over 50 years of Rattray family experience and explore these ancient lands to create memories that will be treasured for years to come.
From USD 1 150
per person per night
Rates may vary according to season. Specials may be available.
Best Available Rate
Eight suites provide exceptional accommodation for a maximum of 16 guests. Each suite or khaya (the Zulu word for “home”) functions as an inclusive abode, resplendent with hand-selected contemporary/colonial furnishings and lavish bathrooms.
- 128m2 each
- ‘His’ and ‘hers’ bathrooms feature a clawfoot bath and double shower
- Secluded outdoor shower
- Private verandah with heated plunge pool and river views
- Indigenous private garden
- Outdoor and indoor dining area
Head to the main lodge for an atmosphere that is conducive to both conversation and quiet contemplation. Relax on the expansive deck and observe the parade of animal life at the Sand River’s edge.
- Dining room
- Safari Bar
- Library with satellite television and internet connectivity (aka – the Monkey Club)
- Infinity pool with magnificent views across the river
- Safari boutique with quality clothing, jewellery and artifacts
- Small fitness facility with a variety of equipment and a steam room
- Massage service is available on request
- Mobile phone coverage (MTN) and wireless internet connectivity are available.
Hearty bush breakfasts, buffet lunches and fireside dinners are all on the menu at MalaMala. Sumptuous meals can be enjoyed in a variety of locations, including the in the comfort of your khaya. Dinner is accompanied by a selection of excellent wines and, when the weather is suitable, candlelit tables cover the safari deck for stunning sunset views over the Sand River.
The chefs are happy to accommodate special dietary requirements, as well as any special occasions. Please advise when making your reservation.
Lion, Leopard, Elephant, Buffalo and Rhino – the “Big Five” and the most sought after species of game that attracted hunters in the past. Today, in reserves like MalaMala, experienced rangers do the hunting exclusively for your viewing pleasure. And the only shooting happens with cameras. Spotting these magnificent creatures from an open Land Rover is a thrilling once-in-a-lifetime encounter!
- 4 guests per safari vehicle
- Photographic Safari (additional rates apply)
- Exclusive use of a safari vehicle can be arranged upon request, but is subject to availability and daily fees apply for empty seats.